Monday, October 29, 2007

RUT IS ALMOST HERE!

OCT 28,2007
Got into the tree about 4:15pm. Just sat down and hit the grunt call and horns for a little sequence...... just as soon as I finished, I heard something running through the trees. I grabbed my bow...... out from the trees came a black cow, not exactly what I was trying to call in but it soon made its way south of me and back through the hole in the fence that it apparently came through. About 5:30 rolled around and I heard leaves crunching in front of me. A doe appeared from the treeline. She made here way to 15 yards from my stand, an easy kill shot but I was after that wall hanger. She milled around browsing on the pecans that had fallen. Then to my right 2 bucks showed to check the doe ( 1 fork horn, 1 small 8 pointer) they began dogging her (rut is gettin close) and eventually ran her off into the pasture. The time ticked by it was about 6:15 wen the doe and the 2 bucks showed again this time it was to browse on the pecans and leaves on the little shrubs. Well dark sat in and I began to pack up my gear, I lowered down my bow and at that time I saw a dark spot moving across the open field about 70 yards away. I pulled up my binoc's and checked it out....... It was a nice 8 pointer (130"class) nice deer but not what I'm looking for. The night was productive and the deer are movin!!!! RUT IS JUST A FEW DAYS AWAY!!! - Colby Simon

No comments: